Monday, June 20, 2011

About Soundtracks...

Now that we are a few months on with the MVM feature, here's a little bit of an explanation for those that may be new to the audience.  I'm a firm believer that songs and music are a staple of life.  There's either a turn of phrase that might stick with you, or becomes such a force on the radio that there are memories that latch on and ride shotgun whenever you hear the melody - even if it's decades later. ("Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing popped into my head for that one, and it conjures a plethora of disconnected images of my middle school years - from band to track, lunch baskets and planting the seeds for stories, a pseudo-girlfriend [it was 6th grade, in the late 80's, the most we did was hold hands and pass notes], and a lot of other early teenage-y things...)  If we were to create a playlist of the songs that mean something to us (as individuals) then we're creating our own life soundtracks, which in a way is part of what MVM is all about... a video representation about some of the items on my (life) soundtrack,

And the fact that "Time of My Life" song popped up is rather fitting, since it's on another kind of soundtrack.  A movie one ('natch).  Which is the other side of my "Soundtrack" conversation tonight. I admit that I am a soundtrack nut.  There was a time (when I was getting regular CDs) that I could easily say a solid quarter (or more) of the collection was soundtracks (true story: the whole reason I got into CDs in the first place was so I could get the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves soundtrack.  Instrumental soundtracks just play/flow so much better when you can run it all the way through without having to eject, flip and restart the tape.  Same reason I got into DVDs was for Braveheart, since it was released as a two-tape [VHS] set, but that another post...).

The problem with a lot of my music library are the words - not a bad thing for the sake of the songs themselves, but when it comes time to put something on, some mood music, say, or some background noise when trying to write some things are better left off the playlist.  Over the last couple of years (mainly the last 6 months, but it's been a progression), I've been taking advantage of the iTunes "Wish List" feature and added a lot of movie and video game scores so I can still have them accessible at some distant time in the future without having to buy them now.  And there may be some more videos in the future that come from soundtracks, if not from a movie, it will definitely be from me.

No comments: