Friday, June 13, 2008

Where I Talk About the Projects

As I mentioned here, I have a couple of projects that I am working on...

I have a short story that was written shortly after the initial Writer's meeting, and really want to continue working with some shorter works... Even if they turn out to only be a few pages, trying to get them to really "fire" well is a skill that I want to continue to work with.

Aside from that story, though, I have started two "longer" works... not sure if they will turn into books, novellas... or even if I will need to change the medium (currently as prose, but wondering if I may need to reformat them... but I need to write the story, first)... So far I have only established the principle character (and a few minor characters, for the sake of the scenes that were written)...

While coming back from lunch today, though, I was pondering an idea for a graphic novel/comic script, and kept thinking about something with a werewolf or catlike person... Maybe something like a version of the Hulk (possibly a pseudo-controlled transformation).... like a crime-fighter type... Hmmm...

I also have three "new" script ideas (previously unworked) - two are shorter works, one would be a science-fiction type of feature film.

There are also two other scripts that have been "sort-of" started to work on... "Four Corners" (the one I started for my class), and another one that I started working on with Ben (Yes, the one with the broken link in my "Sites Visited" section). The later does have some notes stored, but no actual scenes/dialogue written.

Then there are my two previous NaNo projects that I intend to revisit... one that was a solo project, and the second that started as a collaborative work with Chris...

I also have the "Contact Center" project that I had started... I am thinking about changing the format to a screenplay, but I think I want to try doing "both" - write both the script and the long story for it. I definitely think it will work well as a script (the way I am thinking through it), and I may end up writing more script than go back and fill in the long form.

But last night, despite my trek into the office during the game I didn't get any writing done... I had planned on using my shiny, only-used-a-few-times fountain pen to do some scribing, but it wouldn't write... and I tried changing the ink cartridge, and it still wouldn't write... So I figured that maybe it just needed to be cleaned, so I proceeded to carry the tip downstairs so I could let it soak in some warm water...

Once I submerged the tip in the warm water, it looked like a squid had just launched itself... black swirls spewed from the tip as the (presumably dried) ink was reinvigorated and found the openings around the tip...

Newly distracted, I turned the came back on (as described before), and continued watching... I did, however, make some notes about the projects, and ask myself some questions... I think I have figured out part of a schedule, so I can try to focus my efforts for a little while...

Now to print a calendar so I can keep track of myself...

I really am looking forward to having several works going at once... partially for the challenge of pulling it off, but it will also give me a chance to switch gears... If something sticks and becomes more compelling for me to work with, then obviously I will be channeling efforts to that project. But for those moments when one project stalls, I will have something else I can try working with...

No comments: