Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reading List 2010 - Books I'm Looking Forward To

[I started this one back in February, but due to a few glitches in how I was trying to present things, it got delayed... Here's the update, finally something like I was hoping for...]

I mentioned before that I've changed my approach for this year's reading list. I've gotten the "existing" (published before 2011) stack selected (which includes some ebooks), and here's a few of the highlights, ones that I'm really looking forward to getting to (in no particular order).

The Scalzi Fix (the Old Man's War series)
96017675.JPG.jpg

After an awesome Christmas gift from my wife, I've got an increased incentive to get into the series.


Cory Doctorow: Little Brother & Overclocked
72718676.JPG.jpg14665349.JPG.jpg
I was at his Cary, NC stop of his For the Win book tour last year. My friend Chris suggested I start with Brother, and I'm always interested in a short story collection (Clocked).


Cherie Priest: Boneshaker

70460648.JPG.jpg

The current queen of Steampunk, which is a genre I've recently started exploring and attempted writing in.


Charles Stross: Trade of Queens & Fuller Memorandum 
92586654.JPG.jpg94998298.JPG.jpg
Time to finish the last book in the series (Queens), and get caught up on the events in the Laundry (Memorandum). I've been sitting on my copy (signed at Readercon last year), waiting for a chance to get done with all of the academic stuff to crack into it.


Ernest Hemingway: The Complete Stories
42393506.JPG.jpg
Considered to be one of the masters, especially for tightening up (and thinning down) texts.


Flannery O'Conner: The Complete Stories 
43865660.JPG.jpg
I've been told she is one of the writer's to read for character details, among other things. And it's a short story collection. Enough said.

Other books that I've got on my radar, but not including cover shots for (for sake of screen space and a lack of something pithy to add): Joe Haldeman's The Forever War; Stross' Glasshouse, Faith Hunter's Bloodring, Elaine Cunningham's Shadows in the Darkness, Seamus Cooper's Mall of Cthulu, Lovecraft's collected fiction (B&N Edition), Christopher Paolini's Brisingr, Robin Cook's Fever and Coma and Heinlein's Friday.  Only a glimpse at what's on the reading stack, all waiting their turn to be devoured and have their styles observed and lives lived.  Go, books.

No comments: