Tuesday, September 02, 2008

More Words on Words...

Again, some more "Words From Wil"... a post that he was inspired to write, based on a comment/question he got for his earlier post (previously referenced here)...

It's a good, short piece of writerly advice... and he titles it "Five Simple Ways to Just Keep Writing". After reading it (and re-reading it, several times), the advice does make sense. Actually, and even Wil admits, it's not really earth-shattering advice. I have read a lot of other authors make some of the same statements (especially #4).

"4. Don't show your work to anyone until the first draft is done. Don't even excerpt little bits and put them on your blog. I put about 30 words from House of Cards online, and I lost all of my momentum as a result. I'm not sure why this happens, but it really sucks when it does." (From Wil Wheaton's "Five Ways" post)

And, from my own experience, depending on the work, it is the same for me. A short work, it might be okay with (for me)... Longer works, though, get the life force sucked out, like a Banshee aging a character 10 years, or a Nymph killing a character that fails a saving throw (don't get the jokes? Ask a gamer! :o)

I remember a trilogy that I had pretty much outlined the core story elements (it was a fantasy trilogy, with some similar elements of the Realms "Avatar" Trilogy - like, four main characters in a group, all good friends, until the group is fractured by one character's choice to be self-serving, but otherwise, actually, completely different.) I showed it to a couple of people and asked some opinions, but that was as far as it got.

I will counter/add to the statement (#4) though, with this:
Sharing is a very subjective act, and very personal. If you are involved with a group of like-minded people - writerly types that want to improve/tell the best story they can tell - and it is an understood, mutual arrangement to review Works-in-Progress, then by all means: share and ask for feedback.

However, don't get hung up on it! If you are "workshopping" two chapters that you have written for a book, and you have not finished the book, smile, nod, and make notes on the feedback (unless they give you some good, written feedback), but focus more on finishing the work than making changes to what you have already written. Finish first, revise later!

Speaking of finishing... I have a story that I am working on, due next week, that I need to get back to...

No comments: